For a Block Party Permit to be approved and issued by the Chicago Department of Transportation the permit request must be entered by the Aldermanic Office in which the block party is taking place in.
Below you will find information to assist you in preparing for your upcoming block party. Additionally, you can also request a Jumping Jack Castle and a Chicago Fire Truck which can only be requested for Approved Permitted Block Parties. Requesting a Block Party Permit to close a street for the purpose of holding a neighborhood party can be accomplished by:
- A resident can fill out the permit request form and bring it to the Pat’s Ward Office. Staff will be more than happy to assist you with processing the permit. If you have no way to print the form, we can help you with that also. Note: Please bring proof of residency with you.
- A resident can fill out the permit request form and then work directly with Jennifer Dill by email at email@example.com or faxed to 312-744-8548.
These permits are issued free of charge.
Please read all the rules for requesting a Block Party Permit, Jumping Jack Castle and Chicago Fire Truck. It is important that you read all the limitations so you can plan your event accordingly and have a firm understanding to foster a successful event.
Rules Regarding Block Party Permits Requests
- Requests for Block Party Permits from the Aldermanic Offices must be received by the Department of Transportation within three (3) business days prior to event to insure the permit is issued for the event. Permits are issued on a first come, first served basis.
- Block Party Permits will not be issued on any Federal Aid Urban Streets (i.e., arterial streets) or on a bus route.
- Block Party Permits will not be issued for more than one (1) day in succession or to close any street for a commercial purpose.
- A block party permit will only be issued for a single block (intersection to intersection).
- Access to any parking spaces controlled by meters or pay boxes must be maintained at all times.
- In addition to the rules listed above, Block Party Permit requests may be denied by the Department of Transportation for the following reasons:
Incomplete application (missing information)
Traffic control issues
Issues related to other permits issued in the vicinity of the event
Public safety concerns
The following guidelines must be followed:
- Block parties are public events; permits will not be issued for personal events
- Streets cannot be blocked prior to 8am and must be reopened by 10pm
- The city does not provide services such as street cleaning and barricades
- No alcohol or drug use on the public way
If you have any questions or need assistance please contact us.
Hours: Monday and Thursday 9:00am-7:00pm
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 9:00am-4:30pm
Address: 5850 N. Lincoln Ave. Chicago, IL 60659
Note: Please remember to bring proof of residency with you.
Jumping Jack Program
Each year, the Jumping Jack delights children across Chicago. This inflatable playground, provided by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events, is available for free, all summer long.
- Inflatables will only be provided to residential block parties within the city limits of Chicago. Events on private property, in parks, in forest preserves, private parties, birthday parties and festivals are not eligible to apply.
- Saturdays and Sundays only, limited availability
- Applications are available on a first-come-first-served basis
- The Jumping Jack Program runs from Saturday, May 28 through Sunday, August 28, 2016
Applications are available on a first-come-first-served basis
To fill out a request for the use of a Jumping Jack Castle click here. Please remember applications are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Inflatables are for outdoor use only.
- Inflatables can only be set up on pavement, asphalt or concrete.
- Applicants will receive notification by email or phone on the status of their request. The contracted provider will call to set up deliveries.
- Approved block parties will receive an inflatable for (4) hours between the hours of 10am and 6pm on the scheduled day. Actual hours will be determined by availability. One inflatable will be delivered to a requesting block party.
- The requesting party will be required to provide driver’s license or credit card information as a security deposit and designate an adult to sign for the inflatable upon arrival. If inflatable is damaged during use, the credit card provided will be charged for damage. Inflatables will not be dropped off without credit card information or a driver’s license and signature of a designated adult.
- The inflatable will not be set up during inclement weather (rain, drizzle, etc.).
- The contracted inflatable company must be able to drive directly to the set up site. The inflatable cannot be transported manually. If the site is not accessible by vehicle, services will not be rendered.
- Generators are not provided. It is the responsibility of the requesting party to supply electrical power (120 watts) to operate the inflatable within 100ft of the inflatable.
- All parked vehicles must be removed from the location of the inflatable. Applicants are responsible for securing all necessary street closure permits from the Aldermanic Office in that ward.
Chicago Fire Department Engine Request
A request can be made to the Chicago Fire Department for a fire truck and crew to stop by your block party. Please be aware that there is no way to guarantee the arrival of the fire truck as the crew can be called away at any time should an emergency arise.
Fire Truck Request Form.