Chicago’s Open311 brings unprecedented new levels of openness, innovation and accountability to the delivery of City services. Open311 provides the technology to submit photos with service requests, allowing for more accurate and detailed reporting of issues to City departments. The new 311 Service Tracker lets you track service requests from submission to resolution of issue and status email sent to requester.
The Open311 Information Chart provides an overview of the new features available on the new system.
ChiTEXT, Chicago’s Short Message Service (SMS) Text Messaging application, has been expanded to include more options. Not only can users have information sent directly to their mobile phone for commonly asked questions, but they can now request a city service and opt-in for various city alerts.
- Enhanced ChiTEXT features include the following:
- Self-service mobile phone functionality
- Additional channel to request City Services, information and events
- Increased access to check status of Service Requests
- Decreased 311 Call Center call volume and customer wait times
- Constituent satisfaction
Users can select an option from a menu of information and receive responses in the form of text messages from the City of Chicago. To begin, users can text the command keyword CHICAGO to short code 311311. The requester will receive an automated response with a menu offering five (5) possible options:
- OPTION A: CONTACT INFORMATION (government agency, public utility…)
- OPTION B: LOCATION SEARCH (ward/alderman, police beat/district information)
- OPTION C: TOWED/RELOCATED VEHICLE (find a towed or relocated vehicle)
- OPTION D: CITY ALERTS (Opt-In to receive preferred city information alerts)
- OPTION E: REQUEST SERVICES (request a city service from a select list)
How To Use ChiTEXT instructions step-by-step instructions.