Mather Renovation Project
What do you get when you have a 30 million dollar renovation and a 12,000 square foot new addition at Mather High School? A lot of happy students and a proud community! The renovation is almost finished and the teachers and support staff are unpacking and settling in. Check out some of the beautiful renovations.
The students almost didn’t recognize their favorite school when they returned just a few short weeks ago. The students and teachers alike are showing a lot of Mather Pride! A Mather senior said “My school and the building look so cool, and we are all going to work hard and take care of it”.
Along with the new Library, Mather welcomes its new Greenhouse! Connected to the science rooms, the Greenhouse can help teach basic horticultural concepts such as germination and plant growth concepts, as well as the science of solar power and heat. This addition can also be a good starting point to teach both about environmental stewardship and concepts related to global warming.
Mather Principal, Mr. Chris Jones, is very excited about how the school is taking shape and said, “Students and teachers will benefit from all of these positive changes within the school, providing a better environment for teaching and learning”.
POSTED UPDATE / 2 July 2010
The Construction at Mather High School is progressing nicely. With the end of the school year upon us, the school will be vacant allowing workers to progress at a faster pace. Scheduled completion of the project is slated for the beginning of September, just in time for the new school year.
POSTED UPDATE / 25 March 2010
Mather High School’s much anticipated renovation is in its final phases, looking to be completed by fall of this year.
Passersby on Lincoln Avenue can see the outer walls of the new 20,000 plus sq. foot library/media center which will include a classroom space as well as an area for a professional library.
The project which started 2 summers ago, has already provided the following improvements:
- New blue lockers were installed. Additional lockers were added, allowing about 75% of the student body to have their very own, unshared lockers!
- Beautiful new blue padded seats in the auditorium replaced the original wooden ones. The stage area has new curtains for and a new hardwood floor.
- All new floor and ceiling tiles were installed throughout the building.
- A new intercom system in classrooms and hallways replaced the old, outdated model.
This summer’s work will include:
- New bleachers and hardwood floors in the gym.
- Renovation of the pool area.
- Air conditioning through the building.
- Renovation of all classrooms to provide new white dry erase boards to replace blackboards, a multimedia hook up including a 42 inch flat screen monitor.
- Complete boys and girls locker rooms locker rooms and pool renovation.
- Creation of 2 new classroom spaces.
Check back for information about the Open House for the community to see all the amazing work that has been done.