At this time of year, package theft is on the rise. My office has received calls from residents stating that their delivered packages have been stolen from outside their front door. Take a moment to review these safety tips provided by the 24th District to help ensure your packages don’t get into the wrong hands this holiday season.
Holiday Package Theft
- Track deliveries online and confirm delivery has occurred. Sign up for email notifications to track your packages from initial shipment to its arrival.
- If you know a family member or neighbor will be home, ask them to pick up the packages as soon as they are delivered. Switch delivery location to work where it can be received by someone and not left on the porch.
- Ask the delivery company to place items in inconspicuous areas, such as the back door area or behind fixtures or planters that cannot be easily seen from the street.
- Be alert to vehicles that pass by your home several times in a short period of time. Many thieves case the neighborhood before they act.
- Weather is not a factor; don’t believe that the cold will keep thieves away.
- Many people do not hear or see what is happening outside their front door. Be a good neighbor, when a delivery truck stops outside their home, let them know. Ask your neighbors to keep an eye on your property as well.
- Remember to always lock your doors, even when you’re home.
- Finally, always call 911 right away if you see anything suspicious.