Applications accepted February 1 – 28, 2018
An important step in our effort to ensure that the most talented men and women are entering the Chicago Police Department as Police Officers is to get the word out to all areas of the City.
- Joining the Chicago Police Department allows Chicagoans to make a difference in their community while providing a stable, well-paying job that can support their families.
- Police officers have enormous pride in what we do. We are serving our families, our neighbors and our communities every day, making the world better for those around us.
- Our police force is working hard and earning a salary that allows them to live comfortably. After just 18 months on the job our officers are earn $72,510 a year.
- The opportunity to apply to the police force only comes around every few years.
- Applying is simple and quick. The first step is to apply to sit for the entrance exam. Just click here to start your application. You can access the website on a mobile phone or on free computers at any one of your neighborhood libraries.
- Once you apply you’ll be sent details for the exam as well as plenty of materials to help you prepare for the test. But don’t be concerned – the pass rate for the exam is over 80%.
- Applications will be accepted February 1-28, 2018.
Minimum requirements to take the written examination:
- Minimum age of 20 by July 31, 2018.
Requirements for hire (NOT required at time of application):
- 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) from an accredited college or university, or 3 years active duty, or one year active duty and 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours)
- A valid Driver’s License
- A valid FOID
- Actual Resident of the City of Chicago
- Permanent resident of the United States (Citizenship is NOT required)
Those who pass the written examination will be randomly referred to CPD for further processing which includes:
- POWER test (Police Officer’s Wellness Evaluation Report) – tests for physical ability
- Background investigation
- Drug screening
- Medical Examination
- Psychological Examination
- Other tests as required by CPD